Sunday, October 2, 2011

Welcome to Holland

Pin It

That is the title of a poem about Down syndrome, that often is given to parents who are expecting
 a baby with Down syndrome, or that just found out that their newborn has Down syndrome.

It compares becoming the parent of a child with Down syndrome with a journey.
The traveler in the poem is expecting to go to Italy, and somehow ends up in Holland and has to stay there.
 Holland is completely different than Italy, but after the initial shock,
the traveler is able to see and appreciate the beauty of Holland.

Windmill and tulip fields

If you want to read the poem, click on the following link:

After getting the diagnosis for our little girl, the genetic counselor handed us the poem.
I had already heard about it, so I wasn't too surprised.

I thought it was pretty ironic, since I happen to be from Holland, although I am living in the USA.
Nothing wrong with Holland to me :)

But I do see what the writer of the poem means,
although I would've preferred if she had reversed the roles of the two countries in her poem ;)


Windmills at Kinderdijk



My parents' backyard in bloom

Pin It

1 comment:

concretenprimroses said...

I received this poem when we became foster parents. I thought it was a bad rap for Holland too. Tho Italy has taken some bad raps in the US in the past, more than Holland perhaps.
Kathy